Engagement Ring Study Results
By Maury Kauffman
3/23/2020 at 3:34 PM
As the diamond engagement ring specialist of Tucson, and jewelry store owner, I'm often asked about current trends in jewelry and rings. Some of today’s most stylish bridal sets are displayed on my engagement ring page. I thought you’d also like to see the results of The Knot’s most recent Jewelry & Engagement Stud. Here are some highlights:
- 66% of center diamonds range between .50 - 1.5cts in weight.
- Ovals have doubled in popularity since 2017.
- Over the past 5 years, the preference for yellow gold has more than doubled.
- 1 in 10 couples want a color gemstone, rather than a diamond as their center stone.
- 47% of center diamonds set are round cut.
- The overall design of the ring is more important to brides than the size or cut of the diamond.
- 78% of proposers say their significant other dropped hints about ring preferences.
- Halos are dipping in popularity: 24% of respondents reported getting a halo setting engagement ring, down 2% from 2017.
- White gold remains the overwhelming favorite color and metal at 54%, but down from 64% in 2017. Rose gold came in second at 14%, while yellow gold and platinum were tied at 13%.
- 90% of proposers purchased both the diamond and setting at the same retailer.
- 7 out of 10 brides say they were somewhat involved in selecting or purchasing their ring.
- 70% bought their engagement at a traditional brick and mortar jewelry store, while only 11% bought them fram an online store.
- Over 70% of those proposing say it is important to see the ring in person before purchasing it.
- In the Southwest the average amount spent on a ring was $5,600. In the Mid-Atlantic is was $7,500.
- The average cost of a woman’s wedding band was $1,100, while the average for a man’s band was $510.
- 20% of proposers discussed the cost of the ring with their partner in advance.
- 72% of couples have purchased or plan on purchasing insurance for their wedding set.
What is the future of engagement rings and bridal jewelry? Only time will tell. But you can be sure, as a respected private jeweler with one of Tucson's top jewelry stores and over 140 Google 5-star reviews I'm the jeweler you can trust for diamonds and engagement rings and all styles of fine jewelry. Certainly browse online and then, please schedule an appointment to meet with me. Thanks!